Sunday, November 1, 2009

Blog 9

I picked my thesis topic and my advisor at the end of last semester. Hence, I was expected to do my literature research during the summer semester. At the same time, my advisor made me aware of the possibility to receive a grant for my research, which was not only a great opportunity to support my work but also to learn how to write a grant proposal. Besides, the grant I got helps me keep track of my work, because I’m expected to meet the deadlines outlined in my proposal. Because I won’t receive any money until the IRB has approved my research, I’m ahead with my IRB proposal. This is actually a good thing, as it goes hand-in-hand with the thesis proposal that I am required to write this semester. Both processes require me to define the problem, delineate possible solutions, and identify assessment criteria; hence, I can “cut and paste” while preparing both documents. Another advantage of doing IRB and thesis proposal together is receiving feedback from different sources including my advisor, the professor who is overlooking the proposal writing and happens to be a member of my research committee, and from the people who are issuing the grant money.

I’m more than satisfied with the way my advisor works with me. We meet on a regular schedule, but she is always available to answer questions or discuss problems that may come up. She is very enthusiastic about the topic and is convinced that we can publish the data. She often helps me out with tips and examples based on her research or suggests readings, courses, or people that may help me out. Although my advisor expects me to do what I say I will do within a reasonable timeframe, she has never insisted that I do more than I can handle. Her support and understanding is very welcome, because heroic short-term efforts are often required from my part to balance the demands for my thesis with the deadlines in my other courses or with my responsibilities as a TA.

No comments:

Post a Comment