Friday, November 20, 2009

Blog 11

One of my goals is to improve my English writing skills. Although all my written work turns out to be very good, it takes me forever until I have it ready. I’m still missing specific words and expressions in English to present a document that is concise but accurate. Hence, my documents are typically longer than they ought to be, because I end up explaining things to make sure everything important is included. I’m also using the thesaurus, which can be very helpful, but time consuming and sometimes tricky. More than once, I have selected a synonym that was not in the right context, which, of course, changed the meaning of what I intended to say. Similarly, syntax problems have occasionally altered the factual meaning of the messages that I was trying to convey.

To achieve my goal, I plan to enroll in the Graduate Writing Workshop that is offered this spring. As the workshop includes lessons in grammar, usage, vocabulary, and the achievement of a sophisticated tone, it will be a great opportunity for me to improve my writing as well as my conversation skills in English. My goal in this course is to get an A, indicating that I have made progress made towards my goal. My ultimate goal is to write a meaningful thesis that is free of extra words in a reasonable time. This, of course, requires that I have to give up my idea of an “easy” spring semester with only one class (Thesis II) and TA work. The workshop is scheduled twice a week and requires us to produce at least five pages each week, which is lot, given the fact that I don’t like to write. But I hope that I will be rewarded with an easier thesis-writing semester . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment